Saturday, April 14, 2018

Review: Open to the Spirit: God in Us, God with Us, God Transforming Us

Open to the Spirit: God in Us, God with Us, God Transforming Us Open to the Spirit: God in Us, God with Us, God Transforming Us by Scot McKnight
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was able to request the book from Waterbrook press in order to write an unbiased review of it. First, if you know me, you know that I REALLY like reading Scot's work! I've enjoyed each of his three books on 'religious experience' (The Heaven Promise, The Hum of Angels, and Open to the Spirit), but this one was certainly my favorite of the three. In fact, this might be my favorite book that I've read by him since 'Jesus Creed' (I still have such books as "Fellowship of Differents" and "The Blue Parakeet" to read).

In this book, Scot does a beautiful job of calling us to a position of being 'open' to who the Holy Spirit is, and what He's doing around us and in us. There are probably parts of this book that would make some feel uncomfortable, simply because it's a subject matter that some of our circles in Christianity steer clear of and won't touch even with a 10ft pole. Regardless, this is a wonderful addition to the books available and is VERY easy to read. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has never really explored this mysterious figure of the Godhead, and is interested in exploring more about who the Holy Spirit is and what He does. Hands down, my 2 favorite chapters were chapter 9 (dealing with the subject of baptism in Scripture and how the Holy Spirit is connected with that) and chapter 15 (dealing with opening up to living a life of love infused and driven by the Spirit). There were other really good chapters (and a few that were just okay), but those two, I thought, were worth the time to read!

Reading this book ignites a desire to want to live life with more purpose, and helps you discover (or remember) truth that enables you to do just that. I would encourage you to read this book with an open mind, and then prayerfully and purposefully seek out what God may be leading you to do through the directing guidance of His very own Spirit!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment