Sunday, April 1, 2018

Review: The Sacred Meal: The Ancient Practices Series

The Sacred Meal: The Ancient Practices Series The Sacred Meal: The Ancient Practices Series by Nora Gallagher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've made it a goal to someday finish all the books in this series. It won't really be that difficult because they've seemed to be pretty easy to read (thus far). I picked up this one because it has been a subject matter that has recently come up among my study of church history as well as in conversations we've been having in our campus ministry. Overall, am I thankful I read this book? Yes. Is this the book I was looking for to unpack and explore all of the history and varying interpretations of the Eucharist (or whatever else you'd like to call it)? No. In fact there were a couple of times while reading this book where I found myself thinking, "This doesn't seem to have much to do with what she's claiming to be writing about." Yet, just when I was close to writing off the book as a whole, I stumbled across gems throughout that made the read beneficial and enjoyable. If you had to pick only one book to read about the Eucharist, I would probably look elsewhere (where? I don't have an answer as of yet for you). However if you have the freedom and desire to read multiple books on the subject, I would encourage you to throw this one in the mix. It wasn't AS edifying as Scot McKnight's contribution in the series (the book on fasting), but with the difference in style from most writers writing on such a subject, and the poetic flair used throughout, this book is sure to at least help you rest some from the rigors of theological study while continuing on the journey.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment