Sunday, May 6, 2018

Review: Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope

Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, a Broken Mother's Search for Hope by Christopher Yuan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Where to start... I grabbed this book about 3 years ago from a book table at a conference. It was one of those where (to be honest), the cover didn't really appeal to me and the title led me to believe it was a memoir of an immigrants journey to the US and becoming accustomed to 'Westernized' Christianity. Not that it would necessarily a bad read, it just wasn't something that really screamed at me to read. Nonetheless, something about this book made me buy it and keep it on my shelf.

I recently joined a 'launch team' to help read, review, and promote Dr. Yuan's newest book due late this summer, early fall. Due to this sudden opportunity, I remembered this book sitting on my shelf and thought to myself that I should probably make sure that I read his memoir (and first book) before I start adventuring into his new one (just in case there was some groundwork I needed to know). After finishing this book, all I can say is 'WOW!' I had NO idea how good this book was. Aside from the subtitle (which to be honest would trigger A LOT of 'judging a book by its cover by individuals who are pro same-sex relationships and the sort, due to the implications that the author arrived at a different destination than his beginning camp of homosexually active), reading about the life of Christopher AND his mother, the brokenness all throughout their family, and the awesome ways that God worked to speak to them and literally physically save their lives was just an absolutely incredible experience.

There was much to Chris's life that you wouldn't expect (but I don't want to spoil it for you, so you'll just have to pick it up and read it yourself). Nonetheless, to read about the journey, life choices, and metamorphosis that took place in the life of a family that dealt with as much as the Yuan family, is truly an enriching experience.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to just about anyone and everyone. It's not difficult to read by any stretch of the imagination, and is very engaging. It's presentation is genius, with each chapter written (almost as journal entries), alternating between Chris and his mother. Overall, fantastic, easy, and encouraging read that truly capture the modern day example of how prodigals lost in a far country from God can truly return home no matter what they've done and experience the love that their Creator has for them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment