Monday, May 21, 2018

Review: Original Blessing: Putting Sin in Its Rightful Place

Original Blessing: Putting Sin in Its Rightful Place Original Blessing: Putting Sin in Its Rightful Place by Danielle Shroyer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've been reading this book off and on for a year (it's crazy when I looked down and saw I literally started this book and finished it on the same day a year apart... that wasn't intentional but cool that it happened, haha). Overall, this book is certainly an interesting book to read and a thought provoker. The theological concept of 'original sin' has always intrigued me, mainly because of how it really seems unnecessary and doesn't seem to have as much biblical basis as many claim. I'm not an end-all authority on theology so I really appreciate reading varying perspectives on different concepts. Shroyer's book is certainly a nice addition to the conversation. While at times it seems a little taxing to push through, there was much that I enjoyed reading, even if her contributions were not enough to yet convince me of ALL of her conclusions. In all fairness, I hope to reread this book in the future (within a much shorter time frame) and I'm hoping I'll be able to derive a better understanding/appreciation for this book as well as provide a better review. Overall, I have a hunch/suspicion that anyone who holds onto the doctrine of 'original sin' will take issue with this book and won't be convinced otherwise. Yet despite this, it's a book worth reading and given a serious shot at contributing a valid voice within this theological conversation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment