Thursday, October 4, 2018

Review: Shame and Grace: Healing the Shame We Don't Deserve

Shame and Grace: Healing the Shame We Don't Deserve Shame and Grace: Healing the Shame We Don't Deserve by Lewis B. Smedes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a book that was a textbook for my Christian Counseling class back in undergrad that I had started to read back then and simply skimmed (as most college students do) in order to complete the assignments dealing with the book. I find myself currently preparing for a retreat for college students in the campus ministry where I serve, where the topic is 'grace.' I'm thankful I still had this book on my shelf. While there were times (maybe writing style or maybe (more likely) fatigue) where I found myself a little confused as to what Smedes was trying to get at, overall this book provides fresh air to a community where members should be swimming in grace but instead are finding themselves drowning in shame. By identifying differences between healthy & unhealthy shame, deserving something versus being worthy of something, and sharing lots of stories to illustrate and guide, Smedes (I think) has produced a GREAT resource for Christians to read and work through. I would encourage anyone to read this book, though maybe going a little slower than I did, and taking some time to seriously wrestle with what he says and the practical suggestions he offers in trying to help us live more as a people who have experienced the best thing in the world, grace.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment