Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Review: Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion

Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion by Anne Graham Lotz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First off, the pros:

This book is very easy to read and get through. There's nothing that's going to cause you to have to stop, pull out a dictionary of some sort or look stuff up in a lexicon. Anne does a great job of weaving her thoughts together with good stories and examples. I found it easy to stay engaged because of her writing style and heart (which is VERY visible through her words). There hasn't been a more genuine book that I've read recently where you can actually feel the author's heart behind what she's writing.

Things that weren't for me:

There were a handful of times where I diverged from hermetical conclusions that were drawn. I'm always going to mention something like this when I come across it, only because I value biblical exegesis so much. Nonetheless, were they areas that would cause division? No. I fellowship with many people who would hold similar beliefs as Anne does, and I love them dearly. However I value conversations about where we disagree, in loving and respectful ways.

Overall, this is a decent book. I had never read anything by Anne Lotz before, so I really didn't know what to expect. If you're looking for a detailed, in-depth look at the Holy Spirit, this book probably isn't for you. You'll probably be frustrated and disappointed at the lack of what you're looking for. However, it's clear to me that writing such a book was never Anne Lotz's intention. She wanted to write a book dealing with the PRACTICAL side for us of our engagement with the Holy Spirit, and she has done just that. This is a great book for someone looking for an easy to follow, practical, not TOO over the top introduction to the Holy Spirit and the ministry that He works in the life of a believer. If you're looking for a book that'll fit that bill, then this one might very well be for you!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment