Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: Balanced Christianity

Balanced Christianity Balanced Christianity by John R.W. Stott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I haven't really read anything of Stott's but I have heard him speak (on DVD) and have heard many other people talk about how impactful his writings are, so I figured when I saw this little book in the clearance section of the bookstore last December for a pretty low price, I figured what the heck (It also helps that Scot McKnight wrote something for the book on the back... I like McKnight so when he recommends something, I try to at it my list of things to check out). All in all, this book is pretty good. I really like and appreciate how Stott sought to take the seeming division in Christianity today between people who find themselves on one side of the issue and others on the other, and find the pros and cons from both sides and find a way to merge the two, finding a balance of faith to live out, and not be guilty of falling to the extreme of one of the sides. This is a very short book, and frankly it shouldn't have taken me as long as it did to finish reading (I took breaks, had another kid, worked, and my life just overall contributed to my lack of devotion to this book, haha). I have a feeling that if he were still alive today and I had the opportunity to meet him, we would have gotten along. I really appreciated his willingness to listen to both sides of the issue (even with the side he didn't agree with), and find a common ground on which to move forward. His devotion to a movement toward unity for Christians, regardless of denominational preference, is VERY appealing to me and truly speaks to my heart. Overall, this isn't the BEST book I've ever written, BUT it is worth reading nonetheless. It's short so it wouldn't take you much time at all. The recorded interview in the back of the book is interesting and most of it is worth the read as well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment