Thursday, November 7, 2013

Review of 'Clear Winter Nights'

I must say that I originally looked past this book to read for a review because I didn't really think it was a book that I was interested in reading. However now that I've read it and had time to process the book, I must wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone! I had never heard of Trevin Wax before (I suppose I must have been living under a rock), but the way that he has written this book is in such a way that is easy to read and addresses some modern, pertinent issues in a non-threatening/abrasive way!

The story of Chris is one that many young adults, Christian and non-Christian alike can relate to. Chris is on a journey where he's not quite sure what he believes and this uneasiness leads him to make some drastic decisions in his life. It just takes one winter break, spending time with his retired-pastor of a grandfather to uncover and address the hurt, uncertainty, and anger that was hidden underneath. Since I work with college students in campus ministry, there have been many of times when I've had conversations where I've talked with a student who didn't think he/she could continue in his/her faith because they were uncertain of whether or not they could agree and follow the Biblical position on certain issues, and this book is a narrative journey that helps a person see someone embark on the journey of exploration without feeling threatened themselves.

I certainly recommend this book, as I said before, to everyone. While there are some doctrinal stances that are alluded to that I might not agree with 100% of the time, the mere fact that the main character Chris deals with real-life issues that every young adult is going through this very moment. The conversations Chris has with his grandfather Gil are worth the entire book in and of itself. It's a very quick read and will keep you entertained from the very first page!

Clear Winter Nights

 "I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment