Tuesday, September 11, 2012

IMPORTANT NOTICE (Warning, this post MAY include sarcasm...and when I say may, I mean yeah... it's in there)

So yesterday I found out that I'm going to hell. I was really appreciative of the guy who told me, because without him telling me I would have continued living my life following Christ. I guess you all can now stop sending money because I'm not supposed to be here being a witness to the students of this campus, because after all, how can a person who's going to hell do such a thing?

OK, so laying the sarcasm aside, for now, I'll explain and update you all on something rather interesting that happened here on campus yesterday (9.10.12). Yesterday we had two men come to campus and "preach the gospel" on the street corner. Now I put "preach the gospel" in quotations because I don't believe that's what they were doing. Now I must say, that did have some truth in what they were saying, however it was one of those things where there's just enough truth mixed in to make the the whole thing believable. The campus minister for the New Life group here on campus and myself took the liberty to go and talk with these guys. When I approached these guys, one was on a personal bullhorn and the other was holding a sign and talking with an agnostic/atheist student. I approached the guy with the bullhorn and asked him if I could talk to him and ask him some questions. His response, "You can talk to my friend over there." (referring to guy holding a sign) I responded, he's busy, so I want to talk to you. Then I here his buddy yelling at me asking if I had ever been to a church. I laughed, and said yes, and actually I'm a minister.

Crazy preacher guy: Well do you have people stand up and ask you questions in the middle of your sermons.
Me: Well actually, yes. I actually welcome questions.
Crazy preacher guy: (Flustered a tad bit) Well what's your question.
etc...

I could spend hours writing about our conversation (I just documented that part because I thought it was funny), but instead I will summarize their message.
- My crazy preacher friend claims to be perfect. He used to sin, then accepted Christ, and from that point on in his life, he has never sinned. NOT EVEN ONCE.
- Secondly, if you aren't perfect, then you're not a Christian (man, I must have been believing a lie for a LOOOONG time... *SARCASM*)
- Next, apparently I'm not doing my job. Therefore they have to come the campus and do it for me. (I simply responded: "So you, who have never seen me talk with students, preach on campus, or share Christ with people, can ACCURATELY say that I'm not doing my job?)
- I, and the other campus ministers on this campus, don't preach the God and Jesus of the Bible. We instead preach of a "mammy-pamby God"... (quoting them exactly)
- DON'T GO TO CHURCH!!! THEY'RE FEEDING YOU LIES!!!!
- Our goal isn't to help people meet Jesus and become disciples, we aren't supposed to do that... what we are supposed to do is preach the 'gospel' (which from their example is a message of condemnation and of a God who's love is conditional... yes they actually said God's love was conditional...)
- etc.

Now obviously, I see some very significant flaws in their beliefs. (PLUS, I DON'T RESPOND WELL TO BEING TOLD I'M GOING TO HELL) Aaron (New Life) and I talked with these guys for a while, during which they tried to twist my words to mean something that I wasn't saying, but finally I got them to admit that they might be wrong in their interpretations of some (or a LOT) of Scripture. I even asked them about something regarding the Greek in 1 John that was contrary to what they were proclaiming, that stumped them and led them to admit that they don't know (thank you Dr. Girdwood!).

Anyway, I just wanted to write to you all to share with you my fun little experience yesterday and to see if you all will pray for the campus and for the UNCONDITIONAL love of God to be felt and seen all throughout this campus! Thank you all! =)

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment