Monday, June 4, 2012

How Do You Kill 11 Million People?

I've recently been reading a lot, and so I need to catch you all up on the books that I've finished so that you guys might become interested in reading them for yourselves! =)

A very close friend of mine bought me this book recently and told me to read it. It's called "How Do You Kill 11 Million People?" by Andy Andrews. At first, I couldn't help but think to myself, "OK, why is Seth sending me this book? Is he trying to recruit me to some vigilante task force?" Then I read the book, and let me tell you, if there is any book that I think you should read this year before the month of November, this should be it! Andy talks about how throughout history there have been many, many different movements that have led to the deaths of many, many people, but the one question that always came to mind is the question of how this was possible? In nearly every case, the number of those who would eventually be killed, was vastly superior to that of the people who were killing them. Why couldn't these poor people simply rise up and overthrow this other group? How were these people able to succeed in killing 11 million people? The answer is simple, contents Andrews. They were lied to. The main reasoning behind writing the book, Andrews explains, is to in essence 'light a fire' underneath the rears of people in America when it comes to actually knowing what these people we are electing into political office to lead us are promising us. There are so many cases where a candidate will promise one thing, only to do the exact opposite once they received the necessary votes to win. The pleasant surprise for me from this book, was that in spite of its primary focus on politics and voting, there are many illustrations that have stuck in my head as a preacher/teacher. I highly recommend that you take some time out of your day to read this book, as soon as you can! It's very quick read (I read it in about 30-45 min), but it's packed full of interesting thoughts and convicting truths. If you have any other specific questions about the book that you would like to know about before you read it, feel free to ask me! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment